Friday, June 15, 2007

Copa America - Argentina or Brazil?

For those none-soccer fans looking to follow and actually pay attention to my columns, let me just inform you of a few things about me and my columns. Reason for the Vamos Vamos Albicelestes? Albicelestes means Sky Blue/White(which are Argentina's colors, so naturally you can tell I'm a huge Argentine fan. Vamos Vamos essentially means Go Go! Put them together and you get Go! Go! Argentina!). Now that we've got that out of the way, onto the actual news!

Well Copa America(South American version of the Euro Cup) is coming up shortly later on this month. June 26 to be exact. Let's be honest, the heavy favorites as always are Argentina and Brazil. The States have been invited to take part in it for the first time this year. Before I go into detail about everything, let's take a look at the groups.

Group A:
Venezuela
Uruguay
Peru
Bolivia

Group B:
Brazil
Chile
Mexico
Ecuador

Group C:
Argentina
Paraguay
Colombia
United States

Now onto the details! Group A is the toughest to pick from because any team from that group can go to the next round. Venezuela of course has the home advange(did I mention this year it's in Venezuela?) Uruguay is always tough, Peru can pull it off and Bolivia is the true dark horse of the tournament. I see Uruguay finishing first with hosts Venezuela finishing second to advance to the next round.

Group B of course you have to mention Brazil going through to the next round. That's a definite. Question is who will join them to the next round? With the way Mexico is playing in the Gold Cup, they look beatable. Chile is like Peru, they can pull it off and Ecuador is a tough team to beat. However, even though Mexico isn't playing the way they can in the Gold Cup, I'll still have to say they will join Brazil in the next round.

And now onto Group C. My Argentina is more or less in the group of death with Paraguay, Colombia and the States in there. Argentina really wants revenge for their last Copa America appearance(they lost on penalty kicks in the final versus Brazil). And they have THE team of the tournament with Crespo, Tevez, Messi, Saviola, Zanetti, ect... As for who will join them in the next round... My money's on Paraguay. I've been watching FSC lately(Fox Soccer Channel) for the Gold Cup and they're building up the States like there's no tomorrow. It's going to be funny watching them fall FLAT on their face when they lose their opening match versus Argentina on June 28th. Colombia's the dark horse of the group and I just can't see them going through.

So I picked...: Uruguay/Venezuela for Group A, Brazil/Mexico for Group B and Argentina/Paraguay for Group C. Let's see how well I do. This is only my first column, expect alot more news, rumors and even soccer reviews! Because remember, soccer is the only sport that matters!

No comments: