Friday, August 03, 2007

Beckham and Barcelona

So the almighty great David Beckham is in the States! Blah, he still sucks. Who ever thinks this guy will save the MLS or soccer all together in North America is stupid. Soccer will always be considered to be a 3rd rate sport in North America. ALWAYS. It'll be overshadowed much like it is now by baseball, North American football and hockey. One man cannot save a sport in a continent. Theres absolutely no way. But, I do applaud the MLS because I think they knew what they were getting. I think they knew that they were getting an injury proned Beckham who's past his prime. But thats not why they got him. They didn't want Beckham the player, they wanted Beckham the name. Outside the UK he's nothing. Hell, Madrid didn't even want him which is why they didn't want to re-sign him. 250 million for 5 years is too much for any player in any sport.

And to prove my theory that Beckham will not save soccer in North America, all you have to do is watch the Press Conference or just pictures from the Press Conference. 90% of the people at the Press Conference were teenage girls. And the other 10% was the Press, Beckham and his wife. Your gonna tell me the MLS will live because of teenage girls? Come on, give me a break. I can't believe I'm even wasting my time on this piece of crap.

Now onto something meaningful. Barcelona! It was their fault that they lost La Liga last season. They have no one else to blame but themselves. And in an attempt for Rijkaard to save his ass, he signed a few players. Thierry Henry, Eric Abidal and Gabriel Milito. Add that with the players from last season. Messi, Ronaldinho and Eto'o and you have one hell of an attack. Hopefully Ronaldinho can have a better season than last year for Barca. He was their highest goal scorer and as good as that sounds he had a bad year with them. Beginning of the season was bad for him and there were even reports of him putting on weight. Gotta love the media. I'm not sure at how Rijkaard will play his cards. Will he go with the same tactics as last season and sub on Henry with Eto'o every match? Or will we see Messi, Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Henry on the pitch. We'll, time will tell.

No comments: